Journal Cover for Moleskine Cahier XL (7.5 x 9.75 in.)
- GIVE YOUR JOURNAL OR NOTEBOOK A STYLISH HOME: Add a touch of chic and class to your diary, notebook or journal with this simple yet stylish Moleskine Cahier XL Journal Cover. Made with Full Grain Leather and típico textiles from the highlands of Guatemala, it will provide your journal with a sturdy, reliable and classy home. Notebook not included.
- HANDMADE FROM SOFT & ATTRACTIVE FULL GRAIN LEATHER: Hide & Drink’s Moleskine Cahier Journal Cover is hand cut and handcrafted using the highest quality of leather that you will find, namely Full Grain Leather. The quality of this leather ensures a long lasting life and durability. After time and use, the leather will attain a beautiful and unique patina.
- AGE-OLD WEAVING TECHNIQUE USING TYPICAL MAYAN TEXTILES: The colorful fabric bookmark is made using an ancient hand-woven technique using a back strap loom, a complicated process that requires time and patience, producing beautiful and inspiring artwork. This weaving technique, according to Mayan mythology, originates with the Maya Goddess of fertility and procreation, Ixchel. Practiced by many artisans throughout Guatemala over generations, it's more of an art form rather than just a craft.
- MAKES A GREAT GIFT: Hide & Drink swears by its leather, and knows that this fine, rustic Full Grain Journal Cover will make an excellent gift for friends, family and loved ones. Built to last a lifetime, this Cover will make a thoughtful, long lasting gift for anyone and everyone who loves writing, reading, journalists and travelers alike.
- SIZE DIMENSIONS: This rustic, handcrafted journal cover (once again please note that this product does not include a journal - you will receive the cover, only) is 10.50 inches tall by 16 inches wide and 0.5 inches thick when laid flat and open. Please measure your journal or notebook to avoid disappointment!
Length: 16 Inches
Height: 10.50 Inches
Width: 0.50 Inches
Full Grain Leather and Attractive Suede Leather
USE & CARE
Over time and with use, the leather will assume a unique patina. If desired, condition with mineral oil or beeswax leather conditioner.
PRODUCTION & DESIGN
This leather all purpose kit with rustic accents is meant to be passed on to future generations.
This stylish, fine leather product is a reliable travel companion, perfect for giving your trusty notebook, cookbook or journal the chic home it deserves. This classic item is double stitched and carefully handmade with exquisite taste to give your writing experience the utmost in quality and style.
Diaries are ubiquitous now, but were few and far between when they were first used back in the second half of the 2nd century AD. It was during this time that a Roman Emperor wrote a book entitled "To Myself", displaying many characteristics of a modern day diary. In the Renaissance era, It became common for people to not only record events, but to write down their emotions and opinions about them. Celebrate the long line of history of diary-keeping and journal writing with this excellent Cahier Journal.
The leather we use, originating from our well-established supplier Compiel, is only Full Grain Leather, and if you don't know what that is, then make sure you're sitting comfortably. There are 4 types of leather, and they are not all the same in quality. You have Full Grain Leather, Top Grain Leather, Genuine Leather and Bonded Leather.
We'll start with Bonded Leather. It's more of an insult to call Bonded Leather a leather. It's basically lots of different parts of leather glued and pressed together to make one piece, it's cheap, not at all durable and it will fall apart within weeks. In short, it's no good and we are completely against it.
Genuine Leather is in third place in the running and is the layer of the hide that remains after the top is taken off for the better quality leathers. This surface can often be given a makeover with a finish, sometimes a spray paint that can give it the look of a better quality. Not something that happens in our house. Don't settle for this, you can do better.
Top Grain Leather is the second highest grade that you'll find. A leather taken from the top layer of the hide, that is then treated, sanded and refined. It's a good quality leather, but not good enough for Hide and Drink. You can still do better, though, go one more step higher.
Full Grain Leather is the best you can get when it comes to leather, there's no competition here, and Hide and Drink is its biggest fan. Full Grain Leather comes from the top layer of the hide, and has all of the grain, hence its name. It's the best leather than you can buy, and the only leather that we use. You can stop looking now, you've found the cream of the crop.
The tanning process is something that we take pride in. Our rustic leather is created through removing the hair, extracting the moisture, taking out the oils and, of course, the natural preservatives. The leather is placed in a large container filled with new oils, coloring, and preservatives, and there it takes on its new color and thus its new personality. The finishing process consists of pressing the leather with heated plates, hung up to dry and sprayed and finished with a sealer. Finally, it is pressed once more and then ready for its transformation, in which it is carefully handcrafted by the diligent locals of Pastores, Guatemala, where our workshop is located.